The civil superintendent is responsible to plan, organize, and oversee all civil aspects of an assigned project regarding earthwork and foundations. Civil superintendent works closely with foreman, unions, and subcontractor to make sure all earthwork and foundations are being followed according to the schedule. The civil superintendent is responsible for all day-to-day civil activities, as well as adequate communication with all parties and Company to make sure everything is in accordance with specifications and on time. The civil superintendent will assist in leading project safety, adhere to environmental compliance and work with all civil and operator foreman.
The civil superintendent has the following responsibilities, but not limited to.
- Leadership Skills: You will have to keep your employees motivated and resolve conflicts
- Time Management: You will be working with employees, customers, and management, often balancing multiple tasks and objectives at once
- Resources: civil superintendents are expected to help the team manage manpower, equipment, tools, and materials
- Analytical Skills: You will also need analytical skills to be able to solve problems that may come up during a typical workday, and understand drawing sets
- People management: the superintendent must have the capacity to manage people with varying levels of confidence and ability
The civil superintendent will oversee many activities throughout the day regarding earthwork and foundations, so it is critical for him or her to be precisely organized to make sure dates are meet and specifications are followed. The civil superintendent must have professional and thorough communication skills to make sure all activities have all resources needed to complete daily activities.
- A minimum of a high school education
- Proven work experience in the construction industry of at least 10 years
- Background with union trade work – operating engineers and Carpenters
- Background with heavy machinery
- Background in civil systems
- Ability to adhere to environmental compliance
- Excellent internal communication skills to analyze, manage and direct activities
- Solid organizational skills including fine attention to details and multi-tasking skills
In addition to the above preferred requirements, the civil superintendent must also
- Know how to handle stressful situations with great time management
- Work with numerous teams to coordinate material, equipment, and manpower allocation
- Give daily/hourly tasks to foreman
- Review work progress daily
- Report hours and work complete
- Ability to be proactive and forward thinking